Saturday, June 30, 2007

CITIZEN ALERT v1.228
BOXER WRITES ME BACK

I wrote both Feinstein and Boxer about the Reliable Replacement Warheads and how they should vote against it. Feinstein sent me a form e-mail saying she couldn't respond and I had to write to her from some other website or something. Boxer responds as usual. I like her. Read the original CA post about RRWs here.


Dear Mr. Berry:

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to the Reliable Replacement Warhead (RRW), part of the Department of Energy's "Complex 2030" program. I appreciate hearing your views, and I share your concerns.

The Complex 2030 proposal calls for the repair of facilities at eight sites in seven states, including California, New Mexico, Georgia, South Carolina, Nevada, Texas, and Tennessee. It also calls for a newly configured nuclear weapon, the RRW, which would be designed to replace the entire U.S. nuclear arsenal.

As you may know, the Bush Administration has requested $119 million for RRW research and design work for fiscal year 2008. I have deep reservations about this funding request and the overall repercussions of the Complex 2030 plan.

On June 20, 2007, the House of Representatives voted not to fund RRW advancement efforts in FY08. I am pleased with the recent action taken in the House, and I hope similar funding restrictions will be approved in the Senate.

At a time when we are trying desperately to halt nuclear weapons programs in both Iran and North Korea , we must not jeopardize our commitment to nonproliferation as called for in the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. Furthermore, Complex 2030 would have a price tag starting at $150 billion, and its potential for environmental damage is significant.

Please know that I will keep your views in mind as Congress considers this proposal. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me on this important issue.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter